Ah zucchini... one of those vegetables I find people either love or hate. Either way, this dish is for you (just pretend there is no zucchini?). A wonderfully flavored and textured dish that will make all of your friends and family think you've been taking cooking classes in your spare time. Simple to make, and even simpler to make your own. Once you have this "foundation" down, you can figure out your own methods and add other ingredients to make it pop the way only you can! That is what I love about cooking, it's all about getting your confidence in the kitchen to the point where you are comfortable making bold and brave choices with your dishes. It only takes one amazing dish that you create to take your confidence to that level, and then you are on your way!
This specific dish is Lacto-ovo-vegetarian (people who consume milk and eggs but no meats) which usually is just called vegetarian. If you are vegan, you probably already know the different methods to making this dish suitable to your specific needs and let me assure you, it's worth it!
Zucchini Frittata- Frittata ala Sardegnola
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ea. shallot, diced
- 1 ea. medium zucchini, unpeeled and diced (medium size)
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp milk
- â?? cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 6 ea. eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix the water and salt together in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Blanch the zucchini by dropping it into the water and boiling for 2 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini by draining in a colander.
- In a large bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallot to the skillet and cook until translucent. Remove from heat.
- Add the zucchini pieces, parmesan cheese and lemon zest to the bowl with breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Stir the eggs into the zucchini-breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the shallot.
- Melt the butter in your large skillet over medium heat
- Add the egg-zucchini mixture to the buttered skillet and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. The eggs should still appear moist.
- Place the skillet under the broiler for 1 minute to brown on top.
- Serve immediately for best results
Set the date for your next dinner party now and enjoy a night out with friends and family...at home!
Shaw H. Rabadi, restaurant owner/chef/author, invites you to Eat, Drink, and Be Mediterranean with him for a happier, healthier life!
Visit http://www.themediterraneandigest.com/ for information on his newly released story-cookbook, "Savor the Spices of Life" and more info on eating, cooking, and living a heart healthier life.
Eat Better, Fresher, Smarter!